Musings

The Priory

The Priory was the first permanent structure built in Guelph. Designed by John Galt, the building served as living quarters for the Canada Company, civic chambers, and the first post office. It was named for Charles Prior, who supervised its construction. After Galt was recalled to England in 1829, the Priory became a private residence,…

Photo of Guelph Museums themed pogs. Its a pile of 7 pogs with Guelph photos, including John McCrae, Locomotive 6167, Families Gallery, McCrae House, and the Civic Museum

Guelph Circa 1999 – Pogs Craft

How to Make Your Own Pogs Downloadable PDF Instructions Playing with Pogs was a huge craze in the 1990s. Make your own set to play at home! Game play instructions are on the next page. You will need: Cardboard, paper, scissors, markers, glue. Step 1. Cut out cardboard circles, approximately 5 centimetre in diameter, then…

Guelph Circa 1999 – Ajay Heble

Guelph Circa 1999 features a series of portraits commissioned by The Bookshelf and photographed by Dean Palmer. The series became part of Guelph Museums’ permanent collection in 2018.    Told through the stories of the people who spent time at The Bookshelf, a cultural hub in this city since 1973.   While the Museum is closed to the public…

Guelph Circa 1999 – Jessica Steinhauser

Guelph Circa 1999 features a series of portraits commissioned by The Bookshelf and photographed by Dean Palmer. The series became part of Guelph Museums’ permanent collection in 2018.    Told through the stories of the people who spent time at The Bookshelf, a cultural hub in this city since 1973.   While the Museum remains open at this…

Guelph Museums receives Lieutenant Governor’s Ontario Heritage Award for Excellence in Conservation

GUELPH, February 21, 2020: Guelph Museums’ exhibition ‘Into the Light: Eugenics and Education in Southern Ontario’ received the Lieutenant Governor’s Ontario Heritage Award for Excellence in Conservation, presented by The Honourable Elizabeth Dowdeswell at a ceremony at Queen’s Park last evening. Into the Light: Eugenics and Education in Southern Ontario brings the histories and experiences…

Fighting Fire: The History of the Guelph Fire Department

In 1921, Wyndham Street was a prey to flames – so read the front page of the Guelph Evening Mercury. A major fire broke out at Robert Stewart Lumber Co. in the early morning of July 6, 1921. Chief Knighton and the Guelph Fire Department quickly responded to the call. Despite their quick response time,…

Cap-tivated: Frosh at the O.A.C.

Back to school time is right around the corner. Bright eye students getting ready for a fresh start and settling into a new school year. Before there was the University of Guelph, there was the Ontario Agricultural College (O.A.C.). It was one of the three founding colleges which would one day make up the University…

Guelph Mercury “Trip of a Lifetime”

In the fall of 1909, at a time when travel was alluring and rare, the Guelph Mercury announced the “Trip of a Lifetime” subscription contest.  The contest boasted “a free outing to beautiful Florida,” an all-expenses paid, two-week trip for ten lucky women to escape the Canadian winter. An immediate success, the town was buzzing…