Doors Open After Dark and Doors Open: Call for Submissions EXTENDED
Doors Open After Dark and Doors Open
April 26 & 27, 2019
Call for submissions from historians and artists
Deadline EXTENDED to Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 11:59 PM
Doors Open After Dark and Doors Open Guelph will celebrate Guelph’s 192nd birthday, and commemorate the 240th birthday of Guelph founder John Galt, with history and art activations at and around the Civic Museum from 9 PM April 26 to 1 AM April 27 and at Doors Open sites in Guelph from 10 AM to 4 PM April 27.
These free events are aimed at creating opportunities to connect, explore and engage the community with history in unique ways.
Submissions for Doors Open After Dark and Doors Open Guelph are encouraged to explore Guelph’s history and identity through themes of reconciliation, immigration, landscape, culture, and innovation.
This opportunity is open to individual historians and artists, as well as collectives and groups. Preference will be given to residents of the City of Guelph and Wellington County.
Submission and Jury Process
Installations/presentations will be selected through an open call process, as well as by invitation. A jury, formed by Guelph Museums and Guelph Arts Council, will select the featured installations/presentations.
To apply, you must meet the following criteria:
- You agree to create a site-specific installation/presentation in public space which responds to the theme
- Your project must be installed in a safe manner, and abide by all City of Guelph by-laws, laws, and safety standards, (no vehicle idling, no noise violations, all electrical devices must meet code, etc.)
- All Doors Open After Dark installations/presentations must be available for the entire four-hour period, from 9 PM on April 26 to 1 AM on April 27, 2019
- Doors Open installations/presentations will take place between 10 AM and 4 PM on April 27, 2019 at various locations. Schedule and location of installations/presentations to be negotiated with Guelph Arts Council.
Please include a description of the installation/presentation, how it will engage the audience, and any details that will help the jury to visualize the project’s execution. Specify whether your proposal includes an installation/presentation for Doors Open After Dark, Doors Open Guelph, or for both events. If your proposal includes Doors Open Guelph you may specify a preferred site. Site descriptions will be available at guelpharts.ca. Please also include your honorarium expectation, and material fees if required.
Submissions will be assessed by the following criteria:
- Interpretation of the theme
- Innovation, originality, quality of work and support materials, design, and execution plan
Email subject line: “Doors Open After Dark and Doors Open_ Name of Presenter _ Title of Project”.
For example, “Doors Open After Dark and Doors Open_ JohnGalt_My Work of Art”
Please include the following:
- Application Form (.doc , .docx file or PDF)
- Supplementary materials, such as images, videos, with your application form, to help the jury understand your ideas. Attachments mustn’t exceed a total of 10 MB in order to be received through our email system.
Deadline for applications is 11:59 PM Tuesday, February 19, 2019. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. You will be notified by 5:00 pm on Tuesday, February 26, 2019 if your submission has been accepted.
Deadline for submissions Tuesday, February 19, 11:59 PM
Notification of acceptance Tuesday, February 26, 5 PM
Events Doors Open After Dark: Friday, April 26 9 PM to Saturday, April 27 1 AM; Doors Open Guelph: Saturday, April 27 10 AM to 4 PM
For more information, contact Val Harrison, Supervisor, Visitor Experiences, at 519-836-1221 x 2773 or email@example.com