Call for Submissions: Doors Open After Dark
Hosted by Guelph Museums in partnership with Guelph Arts Council
Deadline for Submissions – Thursday, March 29, 2018, 11:59 PM
Guelph 191: Doors Open After Dark will celebrate Guelph’s 191st birthday with history and art activations at and around the Civic Museum from 9 PM April 21 to 1 AM April 22.
This free event, coinciding with Doors Open Guelph, is aimed at creating opportunities to connect, explore and engage the community with history in unique ways.
Submissions for Guelph 191: Doors Open After Dark are encouraged to explore Guelph’s history and identity through themes of reconciliation, immigration, landscape, culture, and innovation.
Guelph 191 Doors Open After Dark Application
This opportunity is open to individual historians and artists, as well as collectives and groups. Preference will be given to residents of the City of Guelph and Wellington County.
Submission and Jury Process
Installations will be selected and presented through an open call process. A jury, formed by Guelph Museums, will select the featured installations.
To apply, you must meet the following criteria:
- You agree to create a site-specific project in public space which responds to the theme.
- Your project must be installed in a safe manner, and abide by all City of Guelph by-laws, laws, and safety standards, (no vehicle idling, no noise violations, all electrical devices must meet code, etc.)
- All projects must be available for the entire four-hour period, from 9 PM on April 21 to 1 AM on April 22, 2018. We are interested in considering projects that may also have a presence during the day, April 21 from 10 AM to 4 PM, as part of Doors Open Guelph (presented by Guelph Arts Council).
Please include a description of the project/installation, how it will engage the audience, and any details that will help the jury to visualize the project’s execution. Please also include your honorarium expectation, and material fees if required.
Submissions will be assessed by the following criteria:
- Interpretation of the theme.
- Innovation, originality, quality of work and support materials, design, and execution plan.
Submit your application to [email protected] using the following format:
Email subject line: “Doors Open After Dark_ Name of Presenter _ Title of Project”.
For example, “Doors Open After Dark_ JohnMcCrae_My Work of Art”
Please include the following:
- Application Form (.doc , .docx file or PDF).
- Up to a maximum of two attachments. All images should be:
- .JPG, .JPEG, or .PNG format
- Max 10 MB in file size
- Maximum 1024 x 768 pixels
- Minimum of 300 dpi
Deadline for applications is 11:59 PM Thursday, March 29, 2018. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. You will be notified by 5:00 pm on Friday, April 6, 2018 if your submission has been accepted.
Deadline for submissions Thursday, March 29, 11:59 PM
Notification of acceptance Friday, April 6, 5 PM
Event Saturday, April 21 9 PM to Sunday, April 22 1 AM
For more information, contact Val Harrison, Supervisor, Visitor Experiences, at 519-836-1221 x 2773 or [email protected]