McCrae House

McCrae House and Gardens

McCrae House is the birthplace of John McCrae (1872-1918), doctor, soldier and author of “In Flanders Fields.”

2017-2018 Coach House construction notice

100 Years of In Flanders Fields Story Map

2015

McCrae House is renovated.

1983

The operation of the museum was transferred to the City of Guelph, and along with the Guelph Civic Museum was merged under the name Guelph Museums.

1966

The federal government through the Historic Sites and Monuments Board designated John McCrae a person of national significance, and designated  the house a place of national significance.

1966

A group of Guelph citizens purchased the building with the intention of preserving it as a museum. This group formed the Lt. Col. John McCrae Birthplace Society and began raising money for its restoration.

1870 to 1873

The house was owned by the McCrae family

1858

The small limestone cottage was built

 

Posted by bds on March 24, 2015