Image: Rotarians of Guelph, 1921
The Beginning of Rotary in Guelph:
On February 23, 1920, 25 local business leaders hosted a meeting to organize a Rotary Club in Guelph. Under the direction of Alex Stewart, the club held its Charter Night on April 9, 1920 at the Royal Canadian Café.
The Rotary Club of Guelph has sponsored nine other Clubs in Guelph and the surrounding the region: Kitchener (1922), Orangeville (1936), Acton (1947), Drayton (1950), Georgetown (1955), Fergus (1966), Guelph Wellington (1986), Guelph Trillium (1995), and Guelph South (2003).
Established in 1988, the Rotary Club of Guelph Charitable Foundation is mandated “to solicit, manage and allocate funds to support long term projects, which enhance the quality of life in our community.”
Membership in Rotary opened to women in 1989. Today, approximately half of local Rotarians are women and female presidents lead three of the four local clubs.
Over the past 100 years, Rotary Guelph has realized many community projects and initiatives. One hundred percent of all profits
from Rotary fundraising events go toward projects that help people in and beyond Guelph.