This Day in Guelph History: May 3, 1900
To commemorate Canada’s sesquicentennial and Guelph’s 190th anniversary, Guelph Museums and the University of Guelph have teamed up to present This Day in Guelph, Ontario, Canada History – Old news gets a modern twist as we revisit news stories from the past 150 years.
May 3, 1900
The Dominion Cattle Breeders’ Association chose Guelph’s Market Square as the permanent location of the Ontario Provincial Winter Fair in 1900 and continued to house the Fair until the Second World War. The building accommodated livestock and agricultural displays, promoting a scientific approach to agriculture. Lectures played a very important role in the Fair’s development. The history of the Ontario Provincial Winter Fair dates back to 1883, when the first show, then called the “Annual Christmas Fat Stock Show” was held in Toronto, Ontario.
Photo: City Hall and Winter Fair Building in Winter, circa 1905 | Details: Grundy_28